Sunday 13 December 2009

TASK THREE

HOW WILL I PROMOTE MYSELF - WHAT DO THEY WANT TO HEAR?

As a young designer, self promotion is an important thing to get right. Looking at the marketing communication mix is a good way of finding out what could work best for me. Firstly I looked at the obvious choice which is web based promotion. It is an effective and efficent way of self promotion, but only if you have something to back it up with. It's a bit like having a book with a pretty cover but blank pages. Another thing to think about with web based production is that the user or client unless instructed to visit the site either 1) find it themselves or 2) accidentally stumbles across it. To create a sucessful website you need something behind it to make people visit it, which in itself is promotion. I really like the idea of having my own site and hopefully it's something that will materialise next year. However I feel as though the website itself will need it's own promotion which could be where magazine/publication adverts and bussiness cards would come in. 

I really like the idea of one on one communication with my clients, i.e. having my own shop/gallery space underneath my studio or a regular stall in somewhere like Spitalfields Market in London. This kind of contact would be good for me as a designer because I would like to get feedback from the public and my clients which is more readily available in that kind of environment. 
Also this is the kind of place which people could access things like bussiness cards or other promotional material which would instruct them to visit the website and so on...


Overall I feel like I would like to have a space in which to sell or promote my design company and a web space to do the same thing. I feel this would cover two bases of self promotion, and would give me more scope to develop into the future. I think a physical space is also important, a base if you like. For a potential client to walk into a friendly, contempoary and professional environment will make much more of an impact than a website.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment